Sunday, January 22, 2012

Southwestern Falafel Pita with Avocado Spread

Whether you are a big falafel fan or not, this is a great recipe to try. It's an amazingly tasty and unique take on a Mediterranean favorite. I made it last week for dinner one night. I made 5 serving sizes and the two of us ate them all. Luckily, they are pretty healthy and low in calories.

I got the recipe out of Cooking Light Favorites 7. I have to say that Cooking Light has to be my favorite cooking magazine. I've never made anything out of an issue that I've disliked (although every once in a while there are things I don't love) and Cooking Light Favorites are even more awesome. Plus, they try to make everything healthier without compromising on taste.


Southwestern Falafel Pita with Avocado Spread

Servings: 4 (one half pita each)
Time: To prepare: 15-20 minutes To cook: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

Patties:
- 1 (15 Ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
- 2 TBSP finely chopped green onions
- 1 TBSP finely chopped cilantro (I omitted because cilantro reminds me of chemicals or soap)
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 large egg white
- 1-1/2 tsp oil
Avocado Spread:
- 1/4 cup mashed peeled avocado
- 2 TBSP finely chopped tomato
- 1 TBSP finely chopped red onion
- 2 TBSP fat free sour cream (I used low fat)
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 (6-in) pitas, cut in half crosswise

Directions:

Step 1: For patties- partially mash pinto beans in a medium bowl with a fork. Add cheese and chips, green onion, cilantro, cumin, and egg white. Stir until well combined. Form into four 1/2-inch thick oval patties.

Step 2: Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add patties and cook 3 minutes on each side (or until browned and cooked through).



Step 3: prepare spread while patties cook by combining avocado, red onion, sour cream, lime juice, and salt. Carefully open each pita half. Place one patty in each half and spread 2 tablespoons of avocado spread in each. Serve immediately.


Nutritional Information: Cal: 281, Fat: 9.5 g (3.4 g sat.), Protein: 12.2 g, Carbs: 37.4 g, Fiber: 5.9 g, Chol: 13 mg, Sodium: 625 mg.


Check out my other recipes:

No comments:

Post a Comment