Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Award Winning Chili


This is by far my favorite Chili recipe, and I've had a lot of chili in my life! I found it on allrecipes.com here. It is now my standard go-to recipe for chili. The people that I have made it for always love it and I am often asked for the recipe.

The best part is that it's easy! I've been craving warm, hearty meals since the weather has gotten cooler, so I made this last night. Yum!


Award Winning Chili (originally named Deboozie's Blue Ribbon Chili)

Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 1 hour
Servings: 6 (original recipe claims 8 but won't fully fill up 8 decent sized bowls)

Ingredients:
- 2 Pounds ground beef
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic salt
- 2-1/2 C. tomato sauce (I usually buy low sodium sauce)
- 1 (8 ou.) jar salsa (I use mild Pace salsa)
- 4 TBSP chili seasoning mix (I use McCormick)
- 1 (15 ou.) can light red kidney beans (I use low sodium)
- 1 (15 ou.) can dark red kidney beans (I use low sodium)

Toppings (optional):
- cheese (I usually do a Monterrey jack/cheddar blend of grated cheese)
- Sour cream (I use low fat)
- Fritos (a personal favorite)


Directions:

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine beef and onion and saute about 10 minutes or until beef starts to brown and onion is tender.

2. Add all other ingredients (except toppings) and mix together. Reduce heat to low and simmer for one hour or more (I usually cover the pot to keep it from splattering everywhere).

3. Serve with favorite toppings!

It's that easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment