Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pineapple Upside Down Tea Cakes

Pineapple upside down cake was not a favorite of mine growing up. It wasn't until I gave it another chance in adulthood that I realized how awesome it really is.

Like I've said before, it's just me and my fiancee in our home so we don't need a whole cake to ourselves. So, I went on a search to find individual sized cakes. This recipe utilizes a muffin pan to make miniature versions of upside down cake. It is quite yummy and pretty easy as well =)


I got the original recipe from here. The original recipe uses Splenda. I personally choose to never use artificial sweeteners in any of my cooking. Aritificial sweeteners are usually chemically modified and have been linked to a number of health problems. I'd rather stick with using granulated sugar in moderation.

Pineapple Upside Down Tea Cakes
Time: 15 minutes to prepare 15-20 minutes to bake
Servings: (6-8 tea cakes)

Ingredients:

- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup yogurt (no fat free/low fat or will be drier)
- 3 TBSP butter, melted
- Dash of vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 6 TBSP sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 can crushed pineapple (the smallest you can find because you will not use it all)
- melted butter and brown sugar for top of cake (about 1 tsp per cupcake cup)
- pinch of salt
- candied cherries (glace cherries) OR blueberries with confectioners' sugar.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (180 degrees C)

2. Brush melted butter in muffin pan. Sprinkle each cup with 1 tsp brown sugar. Add a cherry (if you are using blueberries, wait until cakes are baked to add to top), followed by 1 tsp crushed pineapple.


3. Whisk together egg, yogurt, vanilla, and melted butter. Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and pinch of salt. Whisk well.

4. Divide mixture evenly into cups.

5. Bake at 350 degrees (or about 25 degrees lower in a gas oven) for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool after removing from oven.


6. Carefully remove tea cakes from greased cups (I used cupcake molds which made the process much easier). If using blueberries, top each cake with blueberry and confectioners' sugar.


Enjoy!

Check out my other dessert recipes:

3 comments:

  1. These look so yummy! One quick question though: In the "Ingredients," you listed Baking Soda twice. Now I know one of those is supposed to be Baking Powder, but which one? Thanks!

    -Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry everyone. There was an ingredient listed twice. The issue has been fixed =)

    ReplyDelete